World Leaders President Biden and Rishi Sunak have flown to Israel to meet with Benjamin Netanyahu, with Emmanuel Macron of France also said to be planning a visit. Despite the risks flying into Israel, and against the backdrop of the hospital bombing controversy, the US President and the British Prime Minister came to show their support to Israel by putting their feet on the ground here.
This is particularly encouraging for many in Israel, who experienced great anger directed at the Jewish state from all around the world as Israel was accused of bombing a hospital, causing 500 deaths. However this story is now accepted to be false. The world leaders choosing to actually come to Israel shows with action more than words that they believe the IDF when it stated that Israel was not responsible for the attack on civilians. There was great confusion shortly after the story was published by several media outlets as it gradually it became came to light that it was in fact a misfire from Islamic Jihad, falling short of their target and landing in the Gaza Strip in the hospital carpark. The veracity of the 500 casualties, as reported by Hamas, is also now in doubt. However, the fury that erupted in the international community over the incident demonstrates the volatility and global ramifications of the war precipitated by the attack on Israel of October 7th.
There’s a lot at stake right now in the Middle East, and the events developing here could affect the whole world. These are weighty matters and weighty conversations. The world’s eyes are all on Israel, God’s own real estate, and so we look to God to guide the course of the discussions and agreements between these world leaders.
The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord;
he turns it wherever he will.
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
but the Lord weighs the heart.
Pray for the government and leaders
- Pray for the conversations between these world leaders—for their conversations and commitments to be guided by God.
- Leading up to this conflict our government in Israel was in chaos, but thankfully the war has brought us together as one. Pray that our government can be unified to make good and wise decisions.
- Pray for godly wisdom as they lead our military and police in handling both domestic conflict and the war on our southern and northern front.
- Pray that they will take action in a manner that will ensure a lasting peace and security and not a temporary compromise.
- Pray that they would stand strong against the international pressures from governments and international media.